To avoid any confusion, a metasearch engine can’t be described like an OTA. A hotel metasearch refers to comparison websites displaying hotel’s prices and availability in real-time, including OTA and direct channels.
- “Metasearch sites account for more than 45% of global unique visitors* in travel, according to analysis of the top 10,000 travel websites”
- Unknown few years ago, metasearch is today a growing trend in the hospitality industry, and can now contribute up to 15% of your total online revenue*
- The main metasearch engines are: TripAdvisor; Google Hotel Ads, Trivago, Kayak and HotelCombined but they don’t operate quite the same way so make sure you set different strategies depending on the ones you are using.
- Metasearch needs to be thought like a strategy between your distribution and your digital strategy, and requires a double effort:
- As long as a metasearch engine displays the rates from all the channels bidding on them, you need to check carefully your rate parity across all channels, and ensure your direct rates stay competitive
- You need to make sure you have the right Channel Manager, to allow them to connect to the biggest players in the metasearch field, and help monitor the key performances.